Click here to see John’s accomplishments
John Hartman has owned and operated Contemporary Photography in Stevens Point, WI since 1974, specializing in creative high school senior and family portraiture. His work has received the highest awards in state, national in international competitions.
John is also a highly sought-after educator, teaching at photography schools throughout the nation and being a featured keynote speaker at national photographic conventions and events since 1983. For 20 years, his sold-out John Hartman Marketing Boot Camps held in Las Vegas have helped thousands of professional photographers throughout the world build their business and expand their creativity.
Since 2009, John has been a member of the Q Artists Cooperative, a group of member artists dedicated to providing central Wisconsin with unique local art.
In addition to his busy portrait practice, John invests time outside the portrait industry researching and practicing new and innovative photographic techniques. During the course of this research he discovered light painting, which, though having been around since the early days of film photography, takes on a completely new dimension when created with digital imaging.
• Master of Photography degree, Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
• Photographic Craftsman degree (PPA)
• Master Artist degree (PPA)
• Certified Profesional Photographer (PPA)
• Charles “Bud” Haynes Award (PPA), one of nine given worldwide
• National Award (PPA)
• Educational Associate, American Society of Photographers (ASP), one of 40 given worldwide
• Honorary Educational Associate (ASP), one of 30 given worldwide
• Fellowship Degree, Wisconsin Professional Photographers Association
• Grand Imaging Award finalist, 2016 (PPA)
• World Photographic Cup finalist, 2016
• Charter member and past President, Q Artists Cooperative (four one-person exhibits in 2020, 2015, 2013, 2011)
• Honorary Mention, Epson Panoramic Contest 2010
• Riverfront Arts Center, one person exhibit 2008
• Voted Best Photographer in Portage County five times 2012–2015, Stevens Point Journal/Gannett Papers
• Best in Show, Wisconsin Professional Photographers Association, 1989
• Author, Family Portraiture: How to Photograph, Market and Sell It (Marathon Press), 1988